James Coyne Esq. (1704-1785), “a Gentleman farmer and a Catholic”, leased Clogher House (now Moylurg House) near Boyle in Co. Roscommon from the Earl of Kingston c. 1752. It remained James Coyne’s home for 33 years, until his death in 1785, aged 81.
James Coyne was a man well-known in his lifetime for his sound judgement in livestock. During his three decades at Clogher, he built up a fine herd of cattle and a large flock of sheep, as well as owning of some excellent mares, colts and fillies.
In the Betham Genealogical Abstracts*, James Coyne of Clogher, in County Roscommon, is described as an unmarried Gentleman who was born on the 10th October 1704 and died on the 21st June 1785.
He had three brothers: Phineas; Barnaby (who lived in Boyle); John; and two sisters: Margaret Keaveny (neé Coyne) and Ellinor Plunkett (neé Coyne, d. 1767). Ellinor was the wife of Michael Plunkett (d. 1764), a merchant, of Oxhill, Knockvicar, County Roscommon.