James Gandon (1743–1823) one of the leading architects to have worked in Ireland in the late 18th century and early 19th century, is buried in the church-yard of Drumcondra Church, Church Avenue.

James Gandon was born in London but spent forty-two years in Dublin, creating some of Ireland's most notable architectural landmarks. His better known works include The Custom House, the Four Courts, King's Inns in Dublin and Emo Court in County Laois.

In 1823, he died at his home in Lucan, County Dublin, but was brought to Drumcondra to be interred in the same grave as his friend the antiquary Francis Grose.

His tomb-stone reads: – "Such was the respect in which Gandon was held by his neighbours and friends from around his home in Lucan that they refused carriages and walked the 16 miles to and from Drumcondra on the day of his funeral."

Additional Information
Date of Birth 20th Feb 1743 VIEW SOURCE
Date of Death 1823 VIEW SOURCE
     

References

From A Compendium of Irish Biography, 1878 Ireland VIEW SOURCE
Irish Georgian Society archive of works by Gandon Ireland VIEW SOURCE

Communities Associated with this Ancestor