Ardcarne House, built circa 1843, overlooks the former Rockingham Demesne and is an impressive country residence. The form and design of the house are similar to nearby Glencarne and Ellesmere, suggesting a common architect.
From as early as 1844, it was the residence of John Law Hackett Esq. JP (1805-1885) who was a magistrate for Boyle and Ardcarne and frequently Sub-Sheriff for Co. Roscommon. At the time of his marriage in 1835, both he and his bride, Elizabeth Ormsby gave Ardcarne as their address. However, no house of any value was recorded in this townland by the Valuation Office in 1839. In 1840, Hackett was residing at San Saouel, Boyle. In 1869, he married Isabella Kirkwood of Woodbrook.
In 1857, at the time of Griffith's Valuation John Hackett (1805-1885) was leasing Ardcarne House, valued at £25, from Viscount Lorton's estate.
In 1901, Ardcarne this 16-room house was home to Charles Burton (1820-1902) a rector for the Church of Ireland. His unmarried children still resided there at the time of the 1911 Census.
The house is still extant and used as a farmhouse.
|NIAH: Ardcarn House additional images & survey||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Landed Estates: Ardcarne House||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|