Castle Forbes, Longford
Castle Forbes is a detached two-storey house built in the Gothic style. It was constructed in c.1830 with various iterations since, particularly after a fire in the mid-1920s. Internally the building was remodeled at this time too. The house is constructed from limestone and granite with corner turrets and moldings. It is located in mature landscaped grounds near Newtown-Forbes, Lough Forbes and the River Shannon.
The house takes its name from the Forbes family who were also known as the 'Earls of Granard' who were resident in the area from the late 1690s. It is recorded that the last Earl, the 9th, died with no son at heir and so the title went to a nephew and the estate was retained by the Earl's daughter Lady Georgina.
|Buildings of Ireland||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|