HANDOVER OF LOWER BARRACKS IN LONGFORD IN 1922
On February 17th 1922 the last British unit the 13th Hussars marched out of The Lower or Cavalry Barracks in Longford. Members of Sean MacEoins Midland Division led by the Foresters Band marched in and occupied the barracks, which was shortly after renamed Sean Connolly Barracks in honour of the young commander who was killed in action at Selton Hill in March 1921. They marched to the Lower Barracks where they were received by General Sean MacEoin. After an inspection and address by General MacEoin and Frank McGuinness on behalf of the Longford Urban Council the tricolour was hoisted on the flag staff by Capt Sean Clarke at 11.00am on the day. Capt Sean Clarke as well as being the first Officer to raise the Irish flag also established his place in history as the first Commanding Officer of the newly named Sean Connolly Barracks.
(Longford Historical Society)