Home of the Browne family in the 18th and 19th centuries. The Brownes held Cloonfad from the Mahons of Strokestown.
Denis O'Conor of Bellanagare married Catherine (daughter of Martin Browne of Cloonfad) and they were the parents of the antiquarian Charles O'Conor (1764-1828). In 1782, Martin Browne's other daughter (with a dowry of £2,500) wed Thomas Lynch of Lowberry.
George Joseph Plunkett Browne (1795–1858) Bishop of Galway (1831-44) and Bishop of Elphin (1844-58), was a member of this family residing at Cloonfad.
By the time of Griffith's Valuation Mrs Margaret Browne retained 66 acres at Cloonfad More and a house valued at £4.
Extensive farm buildings and a modern house exist at this site today.
|Landed Estates Database||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|