Donaghmore (Laois)

Share This:
Donaghmore Workhouse on Historic 25 inch map (1897-1913)
Donaghmore Workhouse on Historic 25 inch map (1897-1913)

Note: at the time of the Poor Law Unions, Co. Laois was known as Queen's County.

The Donaghmore Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1850. The Workhouse was opened in 1853 at a cost of £5,525. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 400 inmates. The Donaghmore Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballybrophy, Borris-in-Ossory, Donaghmore, Errill, Glemore, Grantstown, Kilcoke, Kildellig, Kyle, Moneenalassa, Moneymore, Rathdowney, and Rathsaran. 

The Donaghmore Union was dissolved in 1886 and the building was sold to a dairy. 

In 1989, the Donaghmore Workhouse was partially restored with the intention of opening the Workhouse as a museum. 

If you would like to visit the Donaghmore Famine Workhouse Museum, then please click here


For more information see here Ireland VIEW SOURCE
County Laois Archives Ireland VIEW SOURCE

Type of Building:


Some communities associated with this building

Some timeline events associated with this building