Michael and Mary English raised their 7 children on this estate before leaving Ireland for New York from 1849 through 1853. The family lived in an estate cottage and worked as laborers on the grounds. The Abbey is now owned by the Cistercian nuns and is called At. Mary's Abbey.
The Estate property is reached via a crossroad called Castle Richard. Part of the 19th Century estate of Jervais Busche on which Michael and Mary English and their children lived incorporated the remains of the castle on the Blackwater River built by Richard, the Great Earl of Cork.
|Landed Estates Records maintained by NUI Galway||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|