Glenroe Community Centre is a former schoolhouse constructed by Rev. Darby Buckley PP in 1836. Some years later it was attached to the National School system with Patrick Weston Joyce acting as one of its first headmasters. Joyce went on to become one of the leading educationalists and Gaelic scholars of the 19th century. He was succeeded by his brother Robert Dwyer Joyce who achieved fame as a song writer with "The Boys of Wexford" and "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" amongst his compositions. Robert is recorded as the proprietor of the school in Griffith's Valuation.
The building remained in use as a school until the 1930's when a new building nearby replaced it. It has been modified and extended and now acts as a parish community centre. Roll book records are held locally from 1895. Contact darragh@IrelandXO.com.