The current school building in Golden dates back to 1937. However, prior to that a two room school building was situated on the Abbey Road dating back as far as the 1850s and before that a school on the green from 1847. Another National School was also found in Cloughaleigh. In 1937 it was decided that the school be moved to its current location in the village. 1964 saw an extension built towards the rear of the building which included flush toilets! Central Heating was also installed at that stage.
The staff and pupils spent almost a full school year working in an old FCA hall (“poplar” Hall) on the Cloughaleigh end of the village. In the 1970s the First and Second classes were catered for in the old parish hall under the stewardship of Ms Maureen Hennessy. In 1981 an extension was built onto the main school comprising of a fine infants classroom complete with its own toilet area, a staffroom and a general purpose hall.
The school has seen generations of families come and go through its doors and it is a school which holds many fond memories for teachers and students alike. Check out the Book 'Golden Days - A History of Golden National School' for a more comprehensive history of Golden National School. The book is available by contacting the school.