Built c. 1850, the house that now comprises Griffin’s Bar and Residence was originally used as a convent when the Sisters of Mercy first came to Ennistymon.
Generations of the Griffin family have since lived and run the bar there:
James Griffin Sr. was a merchant in Ennistymon when his son Matthew Griffin (1881–) married Minnie Linnane (1886–) in 1910. In 1911, the newlyweds were residing at River View Terrace, Ennistymon. They were next to run the bar. Their son was the late Jimmy Griffin and wife Lillian (d.2006).