Conwal (Donegal) County Donegal

Share This:
Letterkenny Workhouse on Historic 25 inch map (1897-1913)
Letterkenny Workhouse on Historic 25 inch map (1897-1913)

The Letterkenny Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1841. The Workhouse was opened in 1845 at a cost of £7,925. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 500 inmates. The Letterkenny Workhouse was built to accommodate people from the areas of Ballymacool, Carrickatimpan, Castlewray, Connavaddy, Edenacarnan, Gartan, Gortnavern, Killymosny, Kincraigy, Letterkenny, Magheraboy, Manor Cuningham, Seacor, and Temple Douglas. 

Stone In Memory Of Those Who Died In The LetterKenny Workhouse

a picture of the stone in memory of the people who died in The Letterkenny Workhouse during the Famine years in Ireland.

The Letterkenny Workhouse has since become a District Hospital, and the Master's Quarters house the Donegal County Museum. You can find information about visiting the Donegal County Museum here

County Donegam Museum

A picture of County Donegal Museum in Letterkenny.


For more information see here Ireland VIEW SOURCE
Workhouse Records Ireland VIEW SOURCE

Type of Building:


Some communities associated with this building

Some ancestors associated with these communities

Some buildings associated with these communities