Killester House, Raheny (on Killester Lane, townland of Killester South, DED Clontarf West) was a smaller country house adjacent to the demesne of the same name. It is
OLD KILLESTER HOUSE
In June 1826, the "Dwelling House, Office Garden and that part of the lands at Killester containing the whole of ten acres late in the possession of George Hill" was advertised to let for 6 months, subject to redemption.
In 1836, Killester house was described in detail as a house with 6 bedrooms, when it was advertised TO LET
COUNTRY HOUSE, COMMANDING A DELIGHTFUL VIEW THE BAY AND MOUNTAIN SCENERY
Three English Miles from the Dublin Post Office, to be LET, from the Ist of May Next, either by the Season or Year, KILLESTER HOUSE, containing a Spacious Dining Room, two Drawing Rooms, and Six Bedchambers, all elegantly Furnished, with Servants’ Apartments, &c, two Gardens, fully cropped, and Nine Acres of Ground, if required. For particulars and terms, inquire of Mr, Overend, Morning Register Office, 80, corner of Elephant-lane. SOURCE
In January 1846, this "comfortable residence at Killester, with a large and beautiful garden walled-in, the while standing on ten and a half Irish acres of Prime land" had its lease interest auctioned for sale. SOURCE
In 1853 Killester Ho. is mapped and recorded in Griffiths Valuation at #3a Killester South – the residence of Miss Harriet Downes and valued at £45.
In 1881, Killester House was the residence of Mr John Conroy, a grocer and provision dealer in Townsend Street.
In 1888, this house put up FOR SALE auction [Freeman's Journal 22 April 1888]
KILLESTE R HOUSE, KILLESTER
Private residence standing on over two acres, held under fee farm grant for 997 years unexpired, subject £9 yearly, letting value £70 per annum. Sold to Thomas Gleeson, Esq.
Following his purchase, Mr Gleeson knocked out 4 new windows to add light to the building but was met with strong opposition from his neighbour Mr Kirby in 1893. SOURCE
In July 1898, Killester House Raheny was again advertised for Auction.
KILLESTER HOUSE, RAHENY Off Howth Road, within 10 minutes of Clontarf Railway Station and tram, standing upon about 2 acres. Held for 960 years from 1st August 1886, subject to £9 per annum. Immediate possession.
A sound newly-built Detached Residence, double-fronted, 2 storeys high, containing 3 sitting, 4 bedrooms, dressing room, large bathroom (hot & cold) 2 WCs, kitchen, close range, scullery (hot & cold) pantries etc. good sewerage, coach house and stabling, tennis ground, vegetable garden, and grass for a cow; all in good order. Mesers Hayes & Sons Solicitors, 24 Nassau Street. [Dublin Daily Express 14 July 1898]
KILLESTER SOUTH > KILLESTER LANE
By 1901, Killester House, Raheny, (on Killester Lane) was the property and residence of Frederick Evelyn Cairnes (Church of Ireland, born in Dublin 1865) aka Frederick Kerins, Civil Engineer. Joseph Kirby was still residing next door.
- In the Census of 1901, it was recorded as a 1st class property with 7 windows to the front.
- In the census of 1911, this 1st class property had 10 windows to the front and was now recorded as being on "Killester Lane" (in the townland of Killester South) Clontarf West.
In August 1925, Evelyn the eldest daughter of F.E. Cairnes of Killester House Dublin (and grand-daughter of Sir H. Croft bart) was married and the reception held at Killester House.
|ORIENTATION: Killester South||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|PLACENAME ARCHIVE: Killester South aka Killasra||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Griffith's Valuation 1853: Killester South||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|CENSUS 1901: House 10 Killester South||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|CENSUS 1911: House 2 in Killester Lane||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|