The house is located in Glanmire in the civil parish of Rathcooney was first built in 1602.
Paolo and Fillipo Lafrancini, Italian stuccodores arrived in Ireland in 1734. Soon after they were commissioned by Jemmett Browne, Archbishop of Cork to extend and remodel the house.
The Lafrancinis adorned the ceiling of the dining room with allegorical figures and also its walls with classical figures and exuberant rococco flowers and foliage.
The house remained in the Brown family until the present century but by the 1950's the house was decaying and empty. It was bought in 1958 by Mr and Mrs John Dooley who restored the house with the help of the Irish Georgian Society. The house is now owned by Mr Denis and Mrs Rita Dooley.
Source: Cork City Heritage
Type of Building:
brownlaurWednesday 20th July 2022 06:59AM