It was erected to the memory of Robert Forde (1875-1959) an Antarctic explorer who was part of Scott's Terra Nova expedition.
The Inscription reads,
"In memory of Robert Forde R.N. 1875-1959, Who served on Terra Nova with Captain Scott and took part in the 1910-1913 British Antarctic Expedition. Interred in the Old Church Cemetery Cobh."
The statue was ereceted by the Robert Forde Memorial Committee in 2008.