Teach Bhéal Átha na mBuillí aka Strokestown House is an 18th Century mansion built by Thomas Mahon (1701-1782) on his grandfather's land. The Manor of Ballynamully (then Béal Átha na mBuillí which translates as The Ford of the Town of the Strokes) with 500 acres to be held as demesne, was created in 1678, when Captain Nicholas Mahon was granted over 3,000 acres in the baronies of Roscommon and Ballintober (for his support in the British colonial campaign).
In 1786 Wilson described Storkestown House as "fine mansion house with ample and beautiful demesne".
Thomas Mahon MP (1701-1782) represented the borough of Roscommon 1739-1763 and the county from 1763-1782.
In 1837, Lewis referred to it as "Bawn House", the mansion of Lord Hartland. In 1857, it was valued at £70.
His son and heir, Maurice Mahon, was created Baron Hartland of Strokestown in July 1800. The Honourable S. Mahon was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon in 1828. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record Thomas Conry as agent to Lord Hartland. The title died out with the death in 1845 of Maurice, 3rd Baron Hartland.
He was succeeded by his cousin, Major Denis Mahon, who was murdered in 1847.
Grace Catherine Mahon, the heiress, married Henry Sandford Pakenham, who took the additional name of Mahon. In the 1850s, their only son, Henry Sandford Pakenham-Mahon held land in the county Roscommon parishes of Dysart, Barony of Athlone, Kilglass and Kilmore, Barony of Ballintober North, Kilbride, Kilgefin, Barony of Ballintober South, Cloonfinlough, Bumlin, Aughrim, Elphin, Kilbride, Kiltrustan, Lissonuffy, barony of Roscommon. He was succeeded by his only child, a daughter, Olive Pakenham-Mahon.
Strokestown House was home to the Mahon family up until 1979, and is now a major tourist attraction containing the Famine Museum.
|Full history of Strokestown House with photos||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|