An Tortán aka Tartan is a townland situated just south of Ballinameen Village and the townland of Dooneen (about halfway between Frenchpark and Elphin).
In 1641, prior to the invasion of Cromwell, Tartan was owned by Terrence McDermott aka Traolach Mac Diarmada, a Catholic (who owned 26 townlands in north Roscommon at this time). Tartan, with its 190 profitable plantation acres (aka "Irish acres") and 64 unprofitable, was forfeited to the Duke of York.
By the 19th century, Tartan was the property of Guy Lloyd Esq. of Hackford Vale (Norfolk, England) and subsequently Guy Lloyd Jun. (1803-1860) of Croghan House.
In 1824, the farmer with the largest holding here (large enough to fall liable for tithes) was: John Moran. In addition, there were two rundale farming "partnerships" being represented by: Patrick Donoher and Edmund Flanagan. On the 1837 OS 6" map these familial rundale clusters can be observed as follows:
TARTAN NORTH-EAST centred around farm #3 & #4 (CAIN aka KANE 1829+1857) also Ferrall, Roddy, Keane
1811 Patrick Ferrell & Brigid Conlon (sp: Thomas Roddy & Mary Cain / Keane)
TARTAN NORTH-WEST centred around farm #29 (NOONE 1857) # 30 (BEIRNE 1857)
TARTAN SOUTH-CENTRAL centred around farm #16 (BEIRNE 1857) #6 (SHANNON 1857) & #18 (KELLY 1857) also Donnegan
1815 Phillip Dooneken & Brigid Shannon (sp: John Doonekin & Mary Shannon)
[Research by Rua ©2019]
|ORIENTATION: Tartan||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|PLACENAME: Tartan / Tartane / Taertayne||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|DOWN SURVEY 1641: "Tarton, Kill McCompsey"||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|See Elphin Census of 1749||Ireland|
|TITHE APPLOTMENTS 1825||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|RC parish of Elphin||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Freeholders Registration 1832||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|GRIFFTHS 1857||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|