1st January 1837
Back to List

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Samuel Lewis, 1837. (The information collected here was submitted by members of the local gentry and clergy of the time).

AGHAVOWER or AGHAMORE, a parish, in the barony of COSTELLO, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 1/2 miles (N.) from Ballyhaunis, on the road from that place to Swinford; containing 7062 inhabitants.

St. Patrick is said to have erected a monastery here, for his disciple St. Loarn. The surface of the parish is varied with several small lakes; the lands are chiefly under tillage; there is a considerable quantity of bog, also a quarry of black marble.

The gentlemen's seats are

  • Cooge, the residence of James Dillon, Esq.;
  • Annach, of Thomas Tyrrell, Esq.; and
  • Oahil, of James McDonnell, Esq.

Fairs are held at Ballinacostello on June 3rd, Aug, 8th, Oct. 19th, and Dec.18th.

The parish is in the diocese of Tuam, and is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the union of Kiltullagh : the tithes amount to £158: 4:10. The ancient church is in ruins, but the cemetery is still used.

In the Roman Catholic divisions it is part of the district of Knock ; the chapel is an old thatched building.

There are seven pay schools, in which are about 550 children.

At Cloonfallagh there is a mineral spring.

Some communities associated with this timeline

Some buildings associated with these communities