Following the invasion of Cromwell, the Civil Survey was an inquisition which visited each barony and took depositions from landholders (based on parish and townland) with written descriptions of their boundaries.
The Civil Survey of 1654 divided the parish of Clonturk into 3 divisions:
The first was 'Drumconrath' (200 acres of land) which surrounded Drumcondra Castle (b.1560) and was leased at the time to James Bathe – Papist.
The other two divisions, call in the Survey 'Protestant lands' were 'Donogh Carney' (146 acres) and Clonturk (200 acres).
Donnycarney division was leased to Captain Michael Jones for a while, as a reward for his services to Cromwell. (Later it became the property of the Earl of Charlemont).
The Clonturk division – where Drumcondra House was built – was at the time leased to Robert Bathe – Papist (the eldest son of John Bathe by his second marriage). According to the Survey, it contained 'one fair stone house, slated; one office-house, slated; a small church, a garden and an orchard.' In 1684, the lease of the Clonturk property passed into the hands of Yorkshireman Sir John Coghill of Belvedere House (townland of Drishoge; b. 1660) and in 1726 his son Marmaduke Coghill built Drumcondra House on the site of, presumably, this 'fair stone house'.
The Civil Survey of Dublin 1654