County Roscommon Grand Jury 1836

18th July 1836
Edit

Grand Juries had existed in Ireland since the Cambro-Norman invasion (1167-1172 AD). The Grand Jury panel was made up of land-owners, selected by the County Sheriff. Grand Juries, presided over by at least one legally trained Assize Judge, had no corporate existence. Assizes were held twice a year in circuit. Before the assizes, presentment sessions were called in each barony within Co. Roscommon, where proposals for work to be done were considered and submitted to the Grand Jury for ratification. Services provided and paid for by Grand Jury Cess (a tax rate paid by occupiers) included making and repair of roads and bridges, construction of courthouses and levying for support of district hospitals, schools and prisons. Roscommon Grand Jury, as an administrative body, was replaced by Roscommon County Council under the 1898 Local Government (Ireland) Act.

Dublin Mercantile Advertiser, and Weekly Price Current - Monday 18 July 1836

ROSCOMMON COUNTY GRAND JURY:

Daniel Kelly, Esq. (Cargins Park) foreman; Denis Mahon (of Strokestown, aka Major Denis Mahon, who was murdered in 1847); William Lloyd; Edward K. Tennison (aka Edward King Tenison of Kilronan; High Sheriff for Leitrim in 1845) Charles French;  Guy Lloyd (Croghan); Oliver Dowell John Grace (Mantua), William C. St George French; Robert Goff (Oakport); Daniel Ferrall (Beechwood); John Caulfield (Archdeacon of Kilmore, Carrowroe Park ); Denis Henry Kelly; William D. Kelly (Turrock)   Edward H Naghten Esquires (Thomastown Park); Hon. Gonville French (Claremount); Coote Mulloy (Hughestown); William Mulloy Jr (Oakport) Thomas Conry (Cloonahee), Oliver Armstrong (Emlaghroyin)  Edward O’Connor; Denis O’Connor; Thomas McDermott Roe (Alderford); James Lyster (of Lysterfield) Esquires.

 

____________________

 

More about Grand Juries

http://www.tara.tcd.ie/bitstream/handle/2262/5418/jssisiVolVIPartXL_1119...

 

Grand Jury (Ireland) Act 1836
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1836/act/116/enacted/en/print