CREAGH, a parish, in the half-barony of MOYCARNON (now Moycarn), county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT; containing, with a part of the post-town of Ballinasloe, 2864 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the river Suck, which is here 116 feet above the level of the sea, and on the road from Athlone to Galway; it comprises 4775 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the agriculture is greatly improving, limestone abounds, and there is a considerable portion of bog.
The principal seats are
- Fort-William, the residence of T. Lancaster, Esq.;
- Ardcarn, of Capt. J. Bell ;
- Lancaster Park, of J. Lynch, Esq. ;
- Castle Park, of W. D. Kelly, Esq.;
- Birchgrove, of J. O'Shaughnessy, Esq.; and
- Woodmount, of Hugh Kelly, Esq.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clonfert, united episcopally, with a portion of the rectory, about 1739, of Taghmaconnell and the rectory and vicarage of Kilcloony, together forming the union of Creagh, in the patronage of the Bishop; the other portion of the rectory is partly appropriate to the see, and partly to the deanery, of Clonfert. The tithes amount to £135 and of the union to £279. 19s. 0.50d : there is no glebe-house, but there are two glebes, containing 6a. 2r. 6p.
The church is in Ballinasloe, a neat cruciform edifice with a small spire, and was built by aid of a loan of £962, in 1818, from the late Board of First Fruits.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms the head of the union or district of Kilcloony or Ballinasloe, and contains a chapel.
About 50 boys and 20 girls are taught in the parochial free school, under the London Hibernian Societies, aided by donations from Lady Clancarty and the incumbent; and about 170 boys and 70 girls are educated in five private schools. The burial-ground is attached to the ruins of the old parish church
In the grounds of Thomas Lancaster, Esq., is a mineral spring, not at present resorted to.