Croom Poor Law Union
The Croom Poor Law Union was created in 1850 by amalgamating the eastern part of the Newcastle Union and the western part of the Rathkeale Union.
The Croom workhouse was built on a three-acre site to the north east of Croom village at a cost of £7350. It had accommodation for 600 inmates and had a separate fever hospital towards the rear of the workhouse.
In 1924, the buildings were reopened as the Limerick County Hospital and incorporated a general hospital, fever hospital and maternity hospital. It functioned as the county hospital for almost 30 years.
When the Limerick Regional Hospital was opened in 1956, the Croom Hospital became St Nessan’s Orthopaedic Hospital and it continues in that role today as part of the Midwestern Regional Complex.
More detail on Croom Workhouse and Fever Hospital can on found by clicking on the link below.