Hodson enthroned as Anglican Bishop of Elphin

12th September 1667

By Patent dated August 10th 1667, Dr. John Hodson (a Vicar in Clogher Diocese) was raised to the See of Elphin. He was consecrated at St. Nicholas Church at Galway on September 8th and enthroned at Elphin on Septemeber 12th.

Hodson died Feb 18, 1686 and was buried in his cathedral (St Mary's Elphin).

He left a provision in his will for the building of Elphin Bishop's Palace and Elphin Diocesan School (later known as Elphin Grammar School).

Communities Associated with this Timeline