The Parish of Killukin (Boyle) in 1837

1837
Edit

KILLUKEN, or KILLUCAN, a parish, in the barony of BOYLE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Carrick-on-Shannon to Ballina (by way of Croghan village) … (From Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837).

KILLUKEN, or KILLUCAN, a parish, in the barony of BOYLE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Carrick-on-Shannon to Ballina; containing, with part of the market-town and post-town of Carrick (with which it is connected by a bridge over the Shannon), 2948 inhabitants. It comprises about 5670 statute acres, of which 3571 are applotted under the tithe act, and is principally under tillage, although there are several grazing farms. The waste land consists chiefly of bog, most of which might be reclaimed, but at a considerable expense. Limestone of excellent quality abounds, and is quarried in several places for building and burning. The river Shannon skirts a small portion of the parish, and its navigation being connected with the Royal Canal at Tarmonbarry, goods can be shipped at Carrick bridge for Dublin. The principal seats are Croghan House, the residence of Guy Lloyd, Esq., the chief proprietor of the parish; Cashell, of Erasmus Lloyd, Esq.; Fairview, of W. Morton, Esq.; and Hermitage, of Owen T. Lloyd, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Elphin, forming the corps of the archdeaconry of Elphin, and united to the vicarages of Kilbrine and Kilcorkey, and the rectory of Ardcarne, together forming the union of Killuken, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £101. 7. 8., and of the union to 395. 7. 3. The church is a very old building.

There is an excellent glebe-house, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £400 and lent £240, in 1816: the glebe comprises 13 acres. In the R. C divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Eastersnow and Killumod, and parts of Tumna and Kilcola, which district is also called Croghan and Ballinameen, and contains chapels at Croghan, Drumercool, and Drumlion, in this parish.

About 120 children are educated in three public schools, to one of which the curate contributes £4. 10. per annum, and about 200 in four private schools; there is also a Sunday school. See CROGHAN.

From http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/K/Killuken-Boyle-Roscommon.php

________________________________________

For a map of Killukin townlands see  http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/killukin_ros.html

 

GRAVEYARDS in the parish of  KILLUKIN: Killukin Old Cemetery; Drumlion New Graveyard; Croghan RC Church

 

Your first port of call when visiting the area:

Carrick-on-Shannon & District Historical Society (Cumann Seanchais Muintir Eolais)

http://www.carrickheritage.com/historical-society.html

Communities Associated with this Timeline