1st January 1837
Back to List

A snapshot of pre-famine local history, as described by Samuel Lewis in the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" 1837.

TULLA, or TULLOH, a market and post-town, and a parish, in the barony of TULLA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 10 miles (E.) from Ennis, and 109- (W. N. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Ennis to Killaloe ; containing 7514 inhabitants, of which number, 874 are in the town. This place appears to have some claims to antiquity; there are numerous remains of ancient castles, formerly the residences of its landed proprietors.

The town is pleasantly situated on a hill, and is surrounded with highly interesting scenery, enlivened with numerous elegant seats and pleasing villas. The principal trade is derived from its situation on a public thoroughfare, and is chiefly confined to the supply of the surrounding neighbourhood. The market is on Thursday ; fairs, chiefly for the sale of cattle, are held on May 13th and Sept. 29th. A chief constabulary police force is stationed in the town ; road sessions for the barony are held here, as are also petty sessions on alternate Thursdays, and a manorial court every month : there is a small bridewell for the district.

The parish comprises 15,304 statute acres ; there is a large tract of mountain, and a considerable portion of bog ; the system of agriculture is rapidly improving ; the only wasteland is mountain, which, in consequence of the improved lines of road now in progress, and the abundance of limestone, will be speedily reclaimed and brought into cultivation.

On the ploughland of Milltown is a lead mine, which was formerly worked but is at present discontinued; and among the grey limestone rocks is a vein of white calcareous spar, which has not yet been worked.

The principal seats are:

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe; one moiety of the rectory forms part of the union of Ogashin, and the other, with the vicarage, constitutes the corps of the prebend of Tulloh in the cathedral of Killaloe.

  • The tithes amount to £380. 15. 5., of which £284. 9. 11. is payable to the prebendary of Tulloh, £92. 6. 1 to the incumbent of Ogashin, and £3. 19. 4. to the prebendary of Tomgraney.

  • The glebe-house is a good residence near the church, and the glebe comprises 2- acres; the church, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £500, in 1812, is a neat edifice with a spire.

The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; it contains two chapels, one in the town and one at Drimcharley.

There are five private schools, in which are about 340 children; and a dispensary.

At Kiltanon is a succession of limestone caverns, through which a rivulet takes its course; these are much visited in summer: many petrified shells are found in the limestone, some of which are nearly perfect and very curious.

On the hill of Tulla are the remains of an ancient abbey, and of a druidical altar.

Some communities associated with this timeline