The Commissioners on Irish Education reveal that there were two schools in Durrow in 1827. Francis Fanning, on a salary of £5 a year held a Catholic school in an old stable, which was attended by 28 boys and 5 girls. William Carney charged his pupils from 1/8 to 5s. per quarter for his Catholic school, which was held in a thatched mud cabin. 25 boys and 10 girls attended it.