Back to List


Share This:

To remember. To be remembered. To not forget. To not be forgotten. To pass on communal knowledge. A welcome base of information to old and new friends and neighbors.

These are the guiding principle of a project taken on by a small group of volunteers in the South Co. Sligo townlands roughly corresponding with the villages of Keash and Culfadda. The project builds upon the work done by The Keash-Culfadda Local History Committee published in their 2001 book, “Keash and Culfadda: A Local History.” [Out of print.] For a list of all the parishes covered by this project click here

Toomour Parish, Treanmore Townland, 1838 map

The Drumrat, Toomour and parts of Kilshalvy Parish Townland Information sheets bring together the first bits of information that inquisitive people ask about when looking for a relation and where they lived. These pages provide some name and place lists and online sources to introduce you to those who lived hereabouts in the recent, and not so recent, past.

Our hope is that your search fosters an appreciation for the past and its peoples and the lands they called home.

Our goal is to be helpful. Welcome to the neighbourhood.

The red numbers in the map note the specific Griffith’s Valuation (GV) fields/parcels of land. See the GV list for this town land below to match with tenants and owners holding these fields in 1857.

Image removed.

Lands boundaries have been redone since over the years, and of course land has changed hands. Information from the Land and Tenant Rate books at the Valuation Office will be a good source for more information about the people living on and working the land after this 1857 information. See the section below re Valuations.

We begin with the Down Survey of Ireland and other descriptive information about the townland below to get our bearings. Some sheets may contain estate records we were able to locate to give names of tenants early in the 1800s. We move on to the Tithe Applotment listings which tell us the heads of families in the town land in 1833. The Census records of 1901 and 1911 tell us who was in the houses in the townland on Census night. By visiting and searching other web sites, URL addresses provided, you may be able to track people via church records and civil records of births, marriages and deaths. Hint: The more information you have before searching, the better.

The Down Survey of Ireland

Taken in the years 1656-1658, the Down Survey of Ireland is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. The survey sought to measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish in order to facilitate its redistribution to Merchant Adventurers and English soldiers. For more information and to view the maps, go to and explore the site.

Townland of TREANMORE (Corran By)

Down Survey Name: Treanmurchoe

1641 Owner(s): King, Sir Robert (Protestant)

1670 Owner(s): King, Sir Robert (Protestant) County: Sligo Barony: Corran Parish: Tumocoer

1659 Census Total: 12

English: 12

The Ordnance Survey Name Book John O’Donovan 1836

John O’Donovan (1806-1861) led the Ordnance Survey project collecting information about the topography of Ireland.

The work was carried out by sundry surveyors visiting every parish in Ireland. O’Donovan wrote the place name reports based on the data the surveyors collected. 3 For more information:

Treenmore Train mor - ‘Great Third’. There are three hills in the townland - one - the largest, is in Treenmore. The other, Trian Mrtough, is in the parish of Drum Colum and the third is the Tri-
an Screabach in the parish of Aughanagh.

Sitauted on the E. side of the centre of the parisj, 3 miles S.E. of the town of Ballymote. It is bounded on the N. by Carnaveelan; on the E. by Drumcollum Parish and Lough Goura, on the S. by Greenan; and on the W. by Murhy and Drumnagranshy. This townland contains 437 acrea, of which 125 are cultivated, 290 uncultivated heathy and rocky mountain, 16 of bog and 6 of water. The proprietor, the Earl of Kingstown, has it leased to Mr. Duke at the yearly rent of 100 pound. County Cess is generally about 2/- per acre yearly. The soil is light and rocky; there is but a small portionof the townland that is good for anything but grazing. There is an old fort on the W. boundary of the townland and two loughs on its E. bundary, called Lough Labe and Lough Goura.

Townland Place names

Treanmore / An Trian Mor (428 — 40) Trinemore, CPR 126a (1608), Thrinemore, Cen., Freamor, HD, Trienmore, HMR 37, 49, 75; Treinmore, Co. Map/OSNB

This information from ”The Placenames of Corran,” by Nollaig O Muraile, given in a lecture at the 2008 Ballymote Heritage Weekend.

Sources cited: Tax.: Ecclesiastical Taxation, 1306; F: Fiants of Tudor Sovereigns (searched selectively); CPR: Calendar of Patent Rolls of James I; Str: Strafford’s Inquisition, 1635 (from

Wood-Martin’s Sligo); DS: Down Survey, c 1655 (most citations taken from OSNB); Cen.: ‘Census’ of Ireland, c. 1659; HMR: Hearth Money Roll for Co. Sligo, 1665 (ed. MacLysaght);

HD: Hiberniae Delineatio (al. Petty’s Atlas), publ. 1685 (but engraved c 1663); OSBN: Ord- nance Survey Parish Namebooks, 1837 (consulted - especially for evidence of Irish forms collected from native speakers of the language).

Population, landowners and Tenants

Population figures for this townland 1841-1901

1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1901
17 17 22 18 15  

Sligo Tithe Applotment Book Parish Listings

Below are the names of heads of families in the Toomour and Drumbeat parishes in 1833-4.

The Tithe Applotment Books are records compiled between 1823 and 1837 to determine the amount which occupiers of agricultural holdings over one acre should pay in tithes to the Church of Ireland.

We recommend a visit to the sites below for more information.

Trienmore TL, Toomour Parish, Co. Sligo 1834

Henton J
Earl, Geroge

More information may be found at the National Archives Genealogy Website. Access the Census

Records for 1901 and 1911 and many other informative sites at

Parish Online Resources

Diocese of Achonry | County of Sligo Variant forms of parish name: Keash [includes townlands in Drumrat and Toomour]

This website contains images from the National Library of Ireland’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of
Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880. Go to These are incomplete but you may be surprised!

Other online resources for other denominations may be found at,_Ireland_Genealogy#Church_Records

Griffith's Valuation 1857

County of Sligo, Barony of Corran, Union of Boyle

Griffith’s Valuation is the name given to the Primary Valuation of Ireland, a property tax survey carried out in the mid-nineteenth century. The survey involved the detailed valuation of every
taxable piece of property and published county-by-county between 1847 and 1864. The information with tenant and owner names for this town land is below. You can see the rest
by going to the page on the GV site.

Explore Griffith’s Valuation online at these sites:

Looking for more about properties? See the Valuation’s Office web site at

Treanmore TL pg 57 (Ord.S.40)

Tenant Owner Holding (Land, House, Offices)
1.Aleexander Duke John Taffe Land and Herd's Houses
2.   Water of Lough Lable
3.   Water of Lough Gowra

Census of Ireland

Census pages may be accessed through The National Archives of Ireland here

We recommend reading the information available to become familiar with the records. We only provide names, ages and the briefest of other information. The Census pages has more about in- dividuals and families and their houses and land.

Ireland Census 1901

County Sligo, Treenmore Townland, Toomour Parish, DED Templevanny, Boyle Poor Law Union

Occupants and houses (private dwellings/buildings). Ages as given in Census.

House 1, Stone, Thatched, 2 Rooms, 3 Outbuildings, Landholder is Richard Ryers
Kelly John 70 Head of Family Shepard
  Mary A 52 Wife Shepards' Wife
  Lizzie 20 Daughter All siblings not married
  Norah 18 Daughter  
  Michael 16 Son  


House 2. Stone, Thatched, 2 Rooms, 3 Outbuildings, Landholder is Richard Byers

Hannon Michael 50 Head of Family Shepard Not married
  Anne 35 Sister Agricultural Labourer Not married
Milmoe Joh 20 Nephew Agricultural Labourer Not married


House 3, Stone, Thatched, 2 Rooms, 2 Outbuildings, Rich.Byers is the landholder

Noone Bridget 90 Head of Family Agricultural Labourer Widow
  Michael 45 Son Agricultural Labourer  
  Mary 50 Daughter in law Agricultural Labourer  
  Maria 16 Granddaughter Scholar  


Ireland Census 1911

County Sligo, Treenmore Townland, Toomour Parish, DED Templevanny, Boyle Poor Law Union

House 1, Stone, Thatched, 2 Rooms, 2 Outbuildings, Richard Boyers is the Landholder


Kelly Mary Annie 68 Herder Widow She was married 36 years 
  Lizzie 30 Herder Single  
  Norah 29 Herder Single  
  Michael 28 Herder Single  


House 2, Stone, Thatched, 2 rooms, 2 Outbuildings, William McKim is the Landholder

Hannon Anne 55 Head of the Family Herder Single
Milmoe Maggie Ellie 22 Niece Herder Single
  John 30 Nephew Herder Single


House 2, Sone, Thatched, 2 Rooms, 3 Outbuildings, William McKim is the Landholder


Noone Michael 70 Head of the Family Agricultural Labourer Married
  Mary 71 Wife Married 50 years with 7 babies born live, 4 still living  


What else can we know about our old parishes and townlands?

County Sligo is long inhabited, and the folks who lived here left many reminders - like the ring- forts dotting our fields. We can now learn more of these and other monuments via the Archaeo-
logical Survey of Ireland, a unit of the National Monuments Service, and its’ online database base. Go to and look for the Historic Environment Viewer - an online digital service provided by the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht. It's  quite a tool. The viewer is accessible on most browsers and platforms, including smartphones.

Future additions to assist users of these Townland Information Sheets

The local people of the Keash/Culfadda Parish area will continue to refine these Townland in- formation sheets as time goes on. With the valuable help of neighbors and relations they will add names of residents who came to live, work and pass on to others the fields and homes of these townlands for a few more years beyond the 1911 Census, to bring knowledge of the past up close to current memory and understanding. They will also do their best to name the local fields and gathering places of by-gone days - where, for instance, our ancestors used to dance at the crossroads or meet at a well marked land mark, etc. This way, even as old places take on new meanings befitting the era, the past is not lost and our ancestors might still be seen along the roads, in the fields and their old homes - here or gone.

To download a pdf of the Informaiton Sheet click below.

2018 Treanmore TL Toomour Parish.pdf



Category (ies)