Welcome to the parish of Kiltenanlea ( Clonlara )
Our aim is to connect all people with a link to Kiltenanlea. You may live here, have visited here or maybe are tracing ancestors who left long ago. In any case, we’re sure to have lots to share and are delighted to welcome you.
The 1821-1851 census returns were almost destroyed in a fire, the 1861-1891 census returns were destroyed by the Government. The 1901-1911 census returns are available on line free of charge on line on the National Archives of Ireland website.
In the Irish language this parish is called Cill-taSeanain Liath, that is of St. Senan, the hoary. He is supposed to be a different person from St. Senan of Iniscathy, and the tradition of the country makes him a brother of St. Mochuille. His festival is still kept in the parish on the 8th of March, the very day on which, according to the Martyrology of Donegal the festival of St. Senan of Iniscathy is celebrated. Kiltenanlea church is in a tolerable state of preservation, but being of a comparatively modern construction, and resembling so many other buildings of the same character, it does not demand particular description. It has a large graveyard attached. About two hundred yards away there is a holy well dedicated to St. Senan Liath, and greatly frequented by pious people from the country around. A pattern was formerly held there on the 8th of March, but it was removed to the village of Clonlara. In the townland of Gurrane is found the ruins of an ancient church named Tampul Mochuille. At Cappavilla, is a holy well, also dedicated to St. Mochuille. This saint is supposed to be the same who gave the veil to St. Bridget. A castle situated on the townland of Rineroe, and called Donass castle, belonged in 1580 to Shane-ne-geytagh MacNamara. The castle of Coolisteige was the property, in the same year, of Donald Roe MacNamara; and that of Neadanury (now Newtown), of Teige Oge MacNamara.
View Larger Map
18 Group Members
1 Timeline Events