I am looking for more information about Mary Donovan's parents (have already read the information here).
Mary Donovan was
- Born abt. 1845 in Ireland (based on the age at death on her grave)
- Immigrated to New Zealand in 1869 "with two of her siblings" (mentioned in a newspaper article). Her sister Margaret's obituary also confirms the same stating with her parents (this must be her mother's 2nd husband though).
- Married William Corboy on 31 May 1870 in Onehunga (NZBDM)
- Died 11 Dec 1927 in Kihikihi (grave / obituary)
I am looking for more information about her parents Patrick Donovan and Mary Shanahan.
- Born Rosscarbery (Mary's marriage announcement listed as coming from Rosscarbery)
- Died before 1870 (Mary's marriage announcement listed as late)
- Born abt. 1828 in Rosscarbery (death certificate / obituary)
- Marriage #1 Patrick Donovan in Rosscarbery abt. 1844 (death certificate says age 16)
- Marriage #2 John Sullivan in Rosscarbery on 27 Jan 1853 (death certificate says age 26 / confirmed with marriage record)
- Immigrated to New Zealand abt. 1889 (death certificate/obituary says she was in NZ 24 years prior to death)
- Died 9 Apr 1912 in Kihikihi, New Zealand (death certificate)
- Mentions she has four children from the 1st marriage (2M 2F) and 10 from the 2nd (6M and 4F) (death certificate / obituary lists the surviving children's names Mary included)
- Her parents names were William Shanahan and Mary (Mary's death certificate, maiden name of mother is unknown)
AlannaTuesday 26th Sep 2023, 10:25PM
Message Board Replies
If you go to the free site irishgenealogy.ie and select the Church Records Tab, search for Mary Shanahan in Co. Cork. When you get the search results, narrow the search to the RC parish of Rossalettiri. You will then see two 1828 baptismal records.
Mary Shanahane baptized February 25 1828 father Dan mother Honora Cullinane
Mary Shanahane baptized April 6 1828 father Joe mother Margaret Collins
There is also an 1829 baptismal record.
There are many Patrick Donovan baptismal records in the parish.
Castlemore Roscommon, IrelandXO Volunteer ☘
Thanks for searching - it can't be either of those as Mary's parents were William and Mary according to her death certificate. The search continues!