Quin Abbey was a monastery built by the McNamara family in or about 1350. It was Sioda MacConmara who added to the Abbey in the 1400s. The Franciscan friars established themselves in the Abbey in the 1430s and remained there until 1541 when the Abbey was taken over by O'Brien family. The O'Briens allowed the friars to remain there although the abbey was falling into a ruined state. The last friar to reside in the abbey was Fr. John Hogan who died in 1820 and is buried there. The OPW has taken over the Abbey and it is a popular tourist attraction today.