Mount Gordon House (built circa 1770) was the seat of a Garden Esq. aka Gardiner (Wilson 1786, Taylor and Skinner 1778).
In July 1834 "about 20 tons of excellent hay" was advertised for sale at Mount Gordon in the Mayo Consitution newspaper.
On 5 August 1830 "by the Rev James Hamilton, the Parish Church of Belcarra St. Clair O’Malley Esq., second son of Charles O'Malley, Esq., of Hawthorn Lodge, married Marcella, eldest daughter and co-heiress of Patrick Boyd, Esq., of Mount-Gordon. After the ceremony the happy couple set off for Hollymount House, the seat of Thomas Spencer Lyndsay, Esq., where they are to spend the honeymoon". Marcella "the lady of St. Clair O'Malley Esq." gave birth to a daughter at Mount Gordon in 1831 and a son here in 1832.
Patrick Boyd Esq. (1784-1846) was recorded here by Lewis in 1837. He was the son of Sir William Boyd MD (1746-1815).
In 1840, the walled garden at Mount Gordon was known as Mr. Monaghan's Garden where "the potato crop promises to be an excellent one, and the wheat looks right well." —Mayo Telegraph.
In 1843 a boy named Mulligan was residing here as an employee of Mr Boyd. [Saunders's News-Letter]
In 1857, at the time of Griffith's Valuation the house was valued at £43 was held by Mrs. Mary Boyd (relict of the late Patrick Boyd Esq.).
In 1865, Mrs. Boyd died and Mount Gordon was advertised TO BE SET OR SOLD...
The Interest the House, Offices, and Lands of MOUNT GORDON.
About half a mile from the Town of CASTLEBAR, held by a Lease for Two Lives, aged, respectively, 47 and 51 years and for 31 years after the death of the survivor, subject to a Head Rent of £90 per annum; and containing 37 Acres, Irish Plantation Measure.
About 13 Acres, 16 Perches, are let tenants paying £49 8s. yearly. The Houses which is heautifullv situated on Lough Lanack, is suited tor the reception a gentleman’s family and has commodious offices and garden attached, and the land of very superior quality, and there is abundant supply turbary.
Application and Proposals made to Charles O’Donnel, Esq, Castlebar.
By 1867 it was the home of the Rev. Allan James Nesbitt who resided here through the 1870s.
In April 1885 Mrs. McClung of Mount Gordon advertised the farm at Mount Gordon TO LET for grazing (an 11 month lease from May 1st 1885 to April 1st 1886).
In the Census of 1911 James McDonnell (b. 1857) was living and farming here.
Mount Gordon is still extant and occupied today.
|NIAH Buildings of Ireland||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|