The Ballyvaughan Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1850. The Workhouse was opened in 1852 at a cost of £6,130. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 500 inmates. The Ballyvaughan Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Abbey, Carran, Castletown, Derreen, Drumcreechy, Gleninagh, Lisdoonvarna, Mount Elva, Nuoghaval, Oughtmama, and Rathbourney.
The records for Ballyvaughan Workhouse have been destroyed.
The Ballyvaughan Workhouse site is now occupied by a community playing field with none of the original buildings surviving.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|