Chambers Memorial Baptist Church was organized in 1882 as the Carmel Baptist Church. Most of the residents in the area were German immigrants. As the congregation grew, a church and four-story parish house were erected in 1890, and the name of the society was changed to Harlem Baptist Church.
In 1903, the Rev. Adam Chambers became the pastor, serving for 18 years. During his tenure, the first (basement) level of the church was turned into a gymnasium. In 1934, the congregation was renamed Chamber Memorial Baptist Church in his memory.
Type of Building: